Temporary Residents Visa

If you are planning to visit Canada for a certain period, for purpose other than work, study or immigration, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or a Visitor Visa, depending on your country you are visiting from. If you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country (a country that Canada has exempted from the TRV requirement), you must instead obtain an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before travelling to Canada by air. In case you are planning to travel over land, you may obtain approval to enter Canada on a temporary basis at the Canadian border.

If you are not a citizen from a visa-exempt country and are planning to travel to Canada, you must obtain a TRV or a Visitor Visa before departing to Canada.

Apart from obtaining a valid Visitor Visa or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), as the case may be, all visitors must carry and present on arrival their valid travel document i.e. passport

Temporary Resident Visas may be single entry or multiple entry and they have a fixed expiry date of either six months or 10 years, and cannot be used after their expiry.

A single entry visa allows you to enter Canada once during the validity period and if you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada.

A multiple entry visa on the other hand allows you to enter Canada multiple times within the visa validity period. The validity of your multiple entry visa could either be maximum ten years or one month prior to the expiry of your passport, whichever is earlier. So in case you are planning to apply for a TRV and request for multiple entry visa, you must ensure that you renew your passport before making the application, in case the passport is going to expire soon.

Requirements to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)/Visitor Visa

While making an application for a Visitor Visa for Canada, you need to ensure that you provide sufficient supporting documents with your application in order to convince the Immigration officer about your genuine intent to leave Canada at the end of your stay. Some of the documents you should consider to submit with your application are:

  • Proof of finances to show that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and any accompanying family members during your stay
  • Proof of having enough money to return home at the end of your stay(for example, your returning flight cost);
  • Proof that you do not have any false motives to work or study in Canada on your TRV;
  • Proof of having no criminal records or major health issues;
  • Proof through supporting documents that you are not a threat to the security of Canada and you intent to return to your home country at the end of your stay in Canada; and
  • Provide any documents requested by the officer to establish your validity.

Please note that merely obtaining or holding a Temporary Resident Visa does not guarantee your successful entry to Canada, as you may need to convince the Immigration officer situated at the Canadian entry point about your identity and your genuine intent to not misuse your TRV for purposes other than what are allowed on a TRV status, and about your intent to leave Canada and return to your home country at the end of your stay or before the expiry.


Canada is a nation which always puts family first and so it is committed to family reunification and keeping loved ones together, by offering a number of immigration programs which gives an opportunity to Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their family members to Canada. One such program is known as the Super Visa.

With a intent to reunite parents and grandparents with their grown up children who are permanent residents or citizens of Canada, IRCC offers a Super Visa that allows the applicant to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of their status.

Super Visa is a multiple entry visa which has the maximum validity date for ten years, or one month prior to the applicant’s passport’s expiry, whichever is earlier. Within the validity period, a Super Visa holder can remain in Canada for periods of up to 2-years, as compared to a regular visitor visa which is usually valid for a maximum period of 6-months.

Qualifying Criteria for a Super Visa

Application for a Super Visa can be made online or in paper form, from an office which is outside of Canada. The processing times depends on multiple factors like the country of application, backlog etc.

Apart from meeting the eligibility criteria for a regular visitor visa, the applicant must meet the below conditions also in order to make a strong case for a successful Super Visa application:

  • Applicant must be able to prove that they are parents or grandparents of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident;
  • Must obtain an invitation letter from their sponsor (child or grandchild), and the sponsor must meet the minimum income threshold to be able to financially support you in Canada;
  • Must obtain a medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is valid for atleast 1 year and has a minimum coverage of CA$ 1,00,000 covering healthcare, hospitalization and repatriation;
  • Must pass a medical examination

It should be noted that the Super Visa holder is not allowed to work or study in Canada, as the Super Visa has the same rights and restrictions as that of a regular visitor visa. Also, a Super Visa application can be made even if the sponsoring family member has a pending application for permanent residency for the parents or grandparents. Any dependents on the parents or grandparents cannot be a part of a Super Visa application.

Super Visa

Super Visa Extensions

If a Super Visa holder wants to stay in Canada for longer than the permitted 2 years then they must apply for the extension by submitting their application no later than 30 days before the current status expires. While this extension application is getting process, should the current visa/status expires, the applicant can remain in Canada while waiting for the decision to be made, which is known as Implied Status.

If you need help with your Temporary Resident or Super Visa application, we encourage you to give us a call at +919310385606 from Mon to Sat 10.00 AM – 6.00 PM.
Alternatively, you can fill up this Free Assessment form and one of our experts would be happy to call you back and assist you.

View More Testimonial

Quick Inquiry